Executive Director NW BOCES
PO Box 773390
Steamboat Springs, CO 80477
Office: 970-879-0391 x303
201 East Colfax Ave. Room 105
Denver, CO 80203-1799
CDE's Licensure Website
Alternative Licensure Program Description
The Alternative Licensure Program (ALP) is a state approved non-traditional licensure program offered by NW BOCES to eligible candidates only (see Eligibility Requirements below).
The ALP is designed for the individual who would like to become a licensed teacher in Colorado but has not completed a traditional teacher licensure program through a university. The program is a one-year “on-the-job” teacher preparation training experience.
Please visit CDE’s website for possible teaching/endorsement areas: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof/Licensure_alt_endorsements.asp
A candidate must meet the following requirements in order to enroll in the ALP:
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Secure a full-time teaching contract in the appropriate teaching/endorsement area with one of the following public school districts: NW BOCES member and associate member districts (East Grand, Hayden, Moffat, North Park, South Routt, Steamboat, West Grand), and also Meeker and Rangely school districts
- Complete an alternative license application with CDE online and receive an alternative license from CDE for the appropriate teaching/endorsement area by September 30th in order to complete the ALP requirements that school year
- As part of the alternative license application process, CDE will need to verify that the candidate has either:
- Documented evidence of 24 semester hours of college level coursework for the teaching/endorsement area they are employed in from a regionally accredited college or university; OR
- A passing score on the approved Colorado assessment PLACE for the teaching/endorsement area they are employed in. Colorado accepts the nationwide PRAXIS II test for the following five content areas only: Elementary Education, English, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
CDE Application Process
Any individuals who are interested in pursuing alternative licensure are encouraged to visit the CDE website at any time to learn more about the CDE application process – starting the license application early (i.e. before applying for teaching positions) and being informed on eligibility requirements will improve your chances of being hired by a school district.
Please note that ALP candidates are fully responsible to apply for and be granted an alternative license from CDE. This is a detailed process with multiple steps and candidates should allow for CDE processing time of approx. 8 weeks for a complete application.
Here is a link to CDE’s Educator Licensing Department: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof. Look for the Alternative Licensure section under “Applying for Licenses and Authorizations”. Please review all of the relevant information on the website. You can also call the customer service line at (303) 866-6628 with any questions that you may have.
Notification to NW BOCES
After securing a teaching position, the candidate and/or the employing school district must notify NW BOCES upon hiring and no later than August 31st for a fall start. The candidate will need to sign the ALP agreement and deliver it to the Finance & HR Director of NW BOCES at the time of hiring, and provide updates on the status of their license application upon request. The Executive Director will require a copy of your Statement of Eligibility if you have one, and will need to sign off on your Assurance of Employment form. As soon as the candidate has received their alternative license from CDE, they will need to provide a copy to the NW BOCES Executive Director and schedule a meeting to review the program requirements.
The program content required for completion include following the NW BOCES Alternative Licensure Rubric which will be completed in the first year of teaching. This rubric includes Online Coursework, professional books, observations of master teachers, attending workshops and more.
Once the candidate has completed all program requirements and full payment of fees has been made, NW BOCES will issue a Verification of Completion form for Initial Teacher Licensure that the candidate will need to submit to CDE online.
NW BOCES ALP Program Fees
Candidates in member/associate member districts: $3,000
(East Grand, Hayden, Moffat, North Park, South Routt, Steamboat)
Candidates in Meeker and Rangely districts: $4,000
Alternative teachers are paid a salary by their hiring school district. Salary schedules vary by district and can be found on school district websites.
NW BOCES program fees are the responsibility of the candidate, and will be collected by district payroll deduction.
All charges payable for fingerprints, tests and applications to CDE are paid directly by the candidate.
Please contact the NW BOCES Executive Director for any questions relating to the NW BOCES alternative licensure program, except for questions on CDE’s alternative license application which should be directed to CDE.